People nowadays get tattoos for several reasons. Some people get tattoos to reflect something or someone they have a love or likeness, while others get tattoos for cosmetic benefits, but others get tattoos because they were dared or dared themselves to do so. Regardless of why a person gets a tattoo, some people find themselves regretting it. However, thanks to PicoSure tattoo removal advanced laser technology, removing unwanted tattoos is now easier than ever.
Table of Contents
What is PicoSure tattoo removal?
PicoSure, the world’s first laser that uses picoseconds (trillionths of a second) and PressureWave technology, delivers laser energy that targets dark and multi-colored tattoo ink while causing no harm to the surrounding skin. In addition, the PicoSure laser is FDA-approved, safe, and more effective at removing stubborn ink than traditional tattoo removal techniques.
How does PicoSure remove tattoos?
• Traditional tattoo removal lasers primarily use photothermal (heat) action to deliver heat to the tattoo pigment and surrounding tissue. PicoSure’s ultra-short pulse of light creates a powerful photomechanical impact that shatters the target ink into tiny particles that are easily removed by the body while keeping the surrounding tissue unheated, going beyond the photothermal action of a typical laser. Traditional lasers frequently necessitate more than ten (sometimes up to twenty) treatments spaced six to eight weeks apart. PicoSure treatments can be done more regularly, and tattoos can usually be cleared in about 3-5 treatments, so your undesirable tattoo will be gone in no time. Even stubborn tattoos that have been previously treated and dark, stubborn blue and green inks.
• Experts now consider PicoSure lasers to be the “gold standard” solution for removing tattoo pigments quickly and effectively using picosecond pulses. The PicoSure is an “Alexandrite Laser,” which means it can produce light at a specific wavelength of 755nm in the infrared spectrum.
• The PicoSure laser uses shorter wavelengths known as Pressure WaveTM, which penetrate biological tissue less than longer wavelengths, resulting in a photo-mediated and light-chromophore interaction known as the “photo-acoustic effect.” When very intense laser pulses are delivered in a short time of about 100 million W/cm2, this effect allows it to absorb light radiation that generates sound (in billionths of a second). These pulses induce temperatures above 300 degrees within specific chromophores, such as particles.
• Because of the nature of PicoSure lasers, wave pulses can be absorbed, resulting in a confined, precise, and quick photothermal effect within a specifically targeted area – as well as ultra-structural and intrinsic chemical modifications associated with rapid changes in volume. The PicoSure laser fractures ink particles bypassing these waves through the skin in the tattoo area, causing chemical and structural changes in the skin.
• The water within pigmented cells reaches boiling temperatures and rapidly explodes, allowing the particles to break down and seep into other dermal structures. Once the pigments have been broken down, they can be consumed by the local lymphatic system and eliminated via trans-epidermal extrusion.
What to expect when removing a tattoo with PicoSure
• The PicoSure laser represents a significant advancement in laser technology. Tattoos are removed more quickly and completely with PicoSure; however, the number of sessions required to remove your tattoo depends on a number of factors, including the color and size of the tattoo. It is best to wait four to six weeks between sessions so that the pigment can be naturally expelled from the body.
• The PicoSure laser tattoo removal procedure is relatively painless, as reported by most patients. The tattoo removal process has been described as feeling similar to getting a tattoo or snapping a rubber band against the skin. Topical anesthetic creams are sometimes used to numb the area just before the tattoo removal procedure for people who have a low pain threshold. The good thing is that PicoSure treatment sessions are quick, taking only 8-12 minutes for a tattoo of average size.
PicoSure treatments are more effective with half the energy and are gentler on the skin. As a result, the tattoo is lighter in a shorter period of time. Tattoo lightning can be achieved in half the number of sessions or less than with traditional lasers. It can treat recalcitrant tattoos, which are tattoos that are very resistant to laser and still have a high density of residual pigment after a high number of sessions.
It is best if you contact an experienced medical office that has obtained medical training in tattoo removal procedures. Then, you can continue your normal activities immediately after treatment with a proper tattoo removal procedure done by an expert tattoo remover.
Stop hiding your unwanted tattoo and begin the process of removing it.
Dr. Peter Kay has been practicing cosmetic surgery in Tucson, AZ for more than 25 years. He is a Board-Certified plastic surgeon as well as a member of the American College of Surgeons. Along with the team at Perfection Plastic Surgery, Dr. Peter Kay provides an individualized approach to patient care.